Monday, June 24, 2013

William's arrival!

With this pregnancy, I have just had a feeling that I wouldn't go past my due date. Thankfully I was right. On Wednesday, the 19th I woke up feeling like he had dropped more. I had been having pretty painful contractions for the past couple nights, just like with Brinley. Anyway, Wednesday morning we went for a walk along the Provo River, hoping to move things along. Then went home,  had lunch, and decided to go to the library. While there I had a couple contractions about 10 minutes apart. These continued for about 2 hours. Brian went to work, since they hadn't gotten any closer together. They were, however, getting more painful. He left and they continued for another hour, then got a little closer together. In the meantime, Brinley woke up from her nap and I sent her to the neighbor's to play, since I was in so much pain. Shortly after she left I called my mom to tell her what was going on and that hopefully it would happen soon. Then I had one that was only about 3.5 minutes apart. I decided it was time to go to the hospital. I texted Brian to tell him, but hadn't heard back from him after a couple minutes, so I called and told him to hurry. This was at about 3:45pm. So I finished putting hospital stuff together, in between painful contractions. He came home and we quickly packed up and left. The 7 minute car ride was awful. We had to stop at every light. We finally made it to the hospital and I walked in while Brian parked the car. When I finally made it up to L&D I was in a lot of pain. The nurse checked me in and then Brian came and they wheeled me to a room, since I couldn't really walk. I don't think the nurse realized how bad the contractions were, because it took a little while for a nurse to come in and check me. Meanwhile they are so bad that I am writhing on the bed. When she finally arrived, it was about 4:15 and I was already at 7cm and his head was really close. At this point they finally realized the urgency of the situation. They called my doctor, who, it turns out, was in a c-section at another hospital, so they called her dad, another doctor at her practice. He was actually the same one who delivered Brinley. This whole time I am insisting I need an epidural NOW. He finally comes to administer it, while I am having back to back contractions. I have never experienced that kind of unending pain. When it was finally in, it still took 3 contractions to kick in. By then, it was time to push. They stopped me after 1 push because his cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Then, 2 pushes later, at exactly 5:00pm he was out. He weighed 6 pounds and 3 ounces and was 18.5 inches long. I couldn't believe how quickly it all happened. With Brinley I was in L&D for 17 hours, this time, less than 1. My body was in shock with the intensity and speed of the whole thing. It took awhile for me to stop shaking. The end result, however, made it all worth it.

First father/son picture.










 First family picture. Brinley has started doing this funny smile for some reason.

 Big yawns.


 Going home outfit. He did not like getting his clothes changed.


3 comments:

Anna said...

My goodness, he is absolutely beautiful!

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you guys!

Cami Rivas said...

I'm so glad that everything worked out so smoothly! Congratulations to you all!

Susan said...

We miss you guys! William is adorable, wish that we were there to snuggle him and play with Brinley.